2021 camp logbook — Glen Kelley
Wave Camp 2021 Glen Kelley
Saturday 9 October
We had a beautiful sunny day today but the soaring forecast was accurate - low convection and no wave.
We had 9 flights with several first timers and 5 flights in the Puch.
The day ended with a pleasant chicken barbecue grilled by Karl Strassberger of PMSC.
Sunday and Monday continue to offer weak conditions, with an overcast thrown in the mix.
Sunday 10 October
Well today’s weather forecast appeared accurate.
Steve Waitekaitis had our one flight for the day and reported the air dead from Mt Washington summit to the surface.
Fortunately, weather conditions were perfect for hiking, biking, or whatever other outside activity appealed. The foliage is stunning.
Monday should be slightly better from a convective standpoint - still pretty low and weak. Wave does not appear likely until Wednesday, but stand by for news.
Monday 11 October
We flew 10 flights today (3 in the Puch).
The weather was much better than predicted. Where we thought we would have a couple hours of weak climbs to 3K or so, we had a slow start, but then widespread good lift topping at 5.4K or so. There was good streeting and well marked thermals.
Folks had a chance to fly up and down the Moriah-Carter range, fly into the great gulf, run North to Berlin and Northeast to Bethel.
We topped the day off with a delicious spaghetti dinner cooked by Karl Strassberger.
Tuesday looks like another weak day with overcast. We continue to hope for wave Wednesday and Thursday.
Tuesday 12 October
The weather has continued to be unseasonably warm, clear, stable, and pretty much unsuitable for soaring.
We had 3 flights on the Puch today and Bill Batesole explored the local area in his Carat.
It appears Rick Roelke and Maury Gault (from Mohawk Soaring) were the big "winners" today as they were able to eke out a 500' gain in weak lift over Mt Hayes.
Tomorrow appears to be more of the same, although conflicting reports on summit winds may make wave possible.
Thursday looks better from a convective standpoint and the same mixed outlook for wave.
Wednesday 13 October
We had and interesting day, which began as forecast: weak, barely convective, but clear and warm.
By the time the late afternoon arrived, we had good lift to over 6000' MSL.
Pieter Schwartzenbach flew over 4 hours, so he appears to have had the big flight.

Unfortunately, Thursday appears to forecast weak convection and unlikely wave.
Friday and Saturday look to be rainy. Sunday looks like wave conditions, but the high moisture may make wave flight difficult.
Thursday 14 October
We had another pleasant surprise today. The forecast called for extensive low overcast, poor convection, and little sign of wave.

This was not completely incorrect. However yours truly launched @1340 to 3.0 AGL over the north end of the Moriah-Carter range (Mt Moriah) to find workable ridge lift and two bald eagles to play with. After a few minutes Rick and Maury arrived in the Puch to take over the Carters and I went to Mt Hayes - a mistake.
A little while later, Brian Zander, Jess Pauley, and Dan MacMonagle launched. Brian found wave east of Mt Hayes and was able to climb to over 6K' MSL. Jess, Dan, and I worked this for a while and the day eventually weakened. Dan made one attempt to run the Carters and try for the horn, but was unsuccessful.
As so often happens, if you are here to fly, conditions often prove better and/or different than expected. Certainly, we all felt rewarded today.
The forecast for Friday does not look good - poor convection and a low overcast. Saturday looks like rain in the morning with a low overcast.
Sunday does look like a wave day, but there is moisture evident, so it might prove challenging
Friday 15 October
We didn't do any flying today. We had a weak forecast, only a couple pilots on hand, and a tow pilot with a 3 hour drive each way. We gave the tow pilot a break.
We have rain in the forecast tomorrow with the possibility of flying in the afternoon.
Sunday looks like a good wave day.
Saturday 16 October

The dismal forecast for low ceilings and south winds were accurate today.There wasn't much rain, so that was nice..
We did not fly and Franconia didn't either.
Tomorrow continues to look like the best (only?) wave day of this encampment. That being the case I asked for a raise of hands for attending pilots to manage our tow situation.
The following pilots responded and said they would attend:
Stephen K. Brown Jess Pauley Glen Kelley Brian Xander Robert Zacharski Andy Kingswood Tom Orsini Jim David Mauri Gault
Given this turnout I am turning loose the GBSC Pawnee and Puch to return to Sterling. *If you show up tomorrow and you are not on this list, we will try to fit you in, but you are the back of the line.* Sorry, I gave it my best shot but I can only work with the information you provide me. If you feel you should be on this list, feel free to contact me, but have your ducks in line..
We plan to open the Wave Airspace and anyone wanting to go above 18000 will need to sign the form that Richard will have available - no exceptions.
As mentioned, it should be a decent wave day with convection as well. Moisture is likely to be present, as well as rain showers, so there are challenges we need to discuss. I will see you at the 9:00 AM meeting.
Sunday 17 October
Wave Camp 2021 is now a wrap.
This morning actually felt like a wave day, with people donning their down jackets, hats and gloves.
As expected, low clouds and moisture prevented an early start. Unfortunately, this situation continued until 1:30 PM, when the clouds lifted enough over the Crescent Range and Moriah Carter Range to consider a launch prudent. It was evident that wave conditions would be present and that the M-C range should provide lift, unless wave suppressed.
It turned out that the run to Wildcat Mountain was fairly straightforward and pushing towards the parking lot provided strong wave lift. This wave lift was at times, very strong, but was also limited in area. At times it almost felt like a thermal. Yours truly, Tom Orsini, Dan MacMonagle and Robert Zacharski all climbed above 10K MSL, with Robert and Dan climbing to over 13K.
We had the chance to exercise the newly approved Letter of Agreement to activate the airspace and that seemed to work pretty well, once some phone number issues were worked out.
This event can only take place with the help of many volunteers, so our thanks to (in no particular order) to Jim David, Steven K. Brown, Rick Roelke, Richard Hart, Tim Chow, Don Graber, Brian Xander, Mauri Gault, and many others for their efforts.
See you next year..


This page is a web transcription of the original document — the PDF is the authoritative version, and the one to print and carry.